Earlier this week, Mickey Dolenz asked the FBI to release any files it has on the Monkees, which seems a little weird. But the FBI has had an eye on tons of celebrities over the years, for various reasons.
Here are some examples:
1. John Denver: He went to an anti-war rally in 1971. He also did drugs.
2. Helen Keller: She was a socialist.
3. Jackie Robinson: For his civil rights work and suspected Communist ties.
4. John Lennon and Yoko Ono: For their anti-war stance.
5. Marilyn Monroe: They had an eye on her because Arthur Miller, her husband from 1956 to 1961, was a suspected Communist.
6. Whitney Houston: Her file had to do with an attempted extortion plot against her, as well as some creepy attention she got from fans.
7. Steve Jobs: They started a file on him when he was being considered for a presidential appointment in 1991.
8. Princess Diana: There were two FBI files on her. One was for threats against her and Prince Charles when they were married, and the other was about security issues pertaining to her trip to the U.S. in 1989.
9. The Notorious B.I.G., Tupac Shakur, and Ol’ Dirty Bastard also had files.